Sport Tourism Canada (STC), a non-profit organization established in November 2000, is committed to increasing Canadian capacity to attract and host sport tourism events. STC is seeking individuals interested in serving on its Board of Directors. Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by submitting an online nomination on, or before Friday, March 18th, 2022 at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time). A Nominations Committee will review all nominations and recommend a slate of candidates to the 2022 Annual General Meeting scheduled for April 27th virtually.
STC NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE
The STC Nominations Committee is in the process of nominating up to five (5) board members for the 2022-2024 term of office.
A. STC NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE GUIDELINES
The Nominations Committee will be composed of up to four (4) Board members and CEO. The Nomination Committee will use the following process:
1. Posting of Open Positions – The positions will be posted on the STC web site immediately and will close Friday, March 18th at 8:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).
2. Inclusive Pool of Talent – The Nominations Committee seeks to establish an inclusive pool of candidates to ensure equity, diversity, linguistic and geographic factors among member applicants as well as the organizations they represent.
3. Final List of Candidates – The Nominations Committee will recommend a final slate of candidates to the Board. The Nominations Chair will ask the Board for permission to proceed to the membership for approval of the slate at the 2022 Annual General Meeting.
4. Notification – All applicants will be notified of their status prior to the Annual General Meeting.
5. Announcement of the new Board Members – At the next Annual General Meeting in April, 2022, the Board slate will be announced to the membership.
6. Term – The term commences at the adjournment of the 2022 Annual General Meeting.
B. GENERAL ROLE OF A BOARD
The Board consists of Officers (Chair, Vice Chair, Treasurer, Secretary, Past Chair), up to six other members and the CEO. The Officers constitute the Executive Committee. The term of Board Members is two (2) years. The Board is the governing body of the Association. The Board deliberates and acts only by consensus during a properly called and noticed meeting with a quorum present.
A Board Member is responsible to represent the membership of STC. The role requires the Board Member to be accountable for the following duties:
1. Meeting Participation – The Board Member is expected to participate in all meetings of the Board including conference calls and face-to-face meetings.
2. Committee Participation – The Board Member is also expected to actively participate or Chair one or more STC Committees, as amended from time to time.
3. Be Informed – The Board Member must be informed about the affairs of the association to properly perform their duty to act in the best interest of the Association. The expectation is the Board Member prepares for each Board conference call or meeting by reviewing all material provided with the meeting agenda. The Board Member is also expected to listen to, empathize with and share the needs of the membership.
4. Conflict of Interest and Confidentiality – The Board Member shall not participate in any association decision when the Board Member has a material financial interest in the transaction in question without first informing the Board of the interest and following proper procedures.
D. DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Minimum of five (5) years senior sports/tourism organization management/sports event hosting experience
• Demonstrate leadership in current position
• Have the ability to formulate and implement strategic plans
• Demonstrate the ability to make verbal presentations
• Strong stakeholder relations with municipalities, NSOs/MSOs and government
For any questions, please contact Chief Operating Officer Grant MacDonald.