Go Congress! Program
The Go Congress! program is a hosted buyer program that is available to eligible Canadian sport organizations who wish to attend Sport Events Congress as a guest of Sport Tourism Canada and its SEC host destination partner. This program will be in effect at SEC23 in Richmond in partnership with Richmond Sport Hosting, and at SEC24 in Winnipeg in partnership with Tourism Winnipeg.
Everything You Need to Know About Go Congress!
Invitations to Participate in Go Congress!
Access to the Go Congress! program is by invitation only and at the discretion of the program partners. Participation is limited to representatives from sport organizations who meet the eligibility requirements and agree to the program conditions.
Eligible Go Congress! participants will have most of the costs associated with attending Sport Events Congress covered by Sport Tourism Canada and its destination partner, including transportation to/from the SEC host city, hotel accommodations, ground transportation, and SEC registration fees.
SEC23 Go Congress! Program Eligibility
In 2023, for an SEC delegate to be eligible for the Go Congress! Program in Richmond, they must:
1. Receive an invitation from Sport Tourism Canada to participate and respond to the invitation by the stated deadline. Spots are limited and are offered at the discretion of the program partners.
2. Be a Canadian national sport organization (NSO) or a multi-sport organization (MSO) who is a client of Sport Canada (or who has not-for-profit status) and who is a member of Sport Tourism Canada in the Event Rights Holder – National category of membership.
3. Own the rights to events (such as competitions/championships, conferences, training camps, AGMs, special events, multi-sport games, etc.) that are open for bid in 2023 or beyond.
4. Be open to consider an event hosting partnership with Canadian communities who are actively seeking events to be hosted in their city/town and agree to participate in Sport Events Exchange, a B2B marketplace activity scheduled in-person in Richmond.
5. Be able to comply with all the SEC23 Registration Terms and Conditions.
SEC23 Go Congress! Program Conditions
Eligible Go Congress! participants who accept an invitation from Sport Tourism Canada to participate in the Go Congress! program in Richmond in 2023 will be required to sign an agreement confirming acceptance of and compliance with the program conditions. Failure to sign the agreement and/or comply with the program conditions will result in the invitation being immediately revoked.
SEC23 Go Congress! Timelines – TBC
– Go Congress! invitations go out (as space permits).
– Deadline for invited Go Congress! participants to accept their invite and sign the Go Congress! program agreement and register online for SEC23.
– Travel bookings are confirmed for Go Congress! participants.
– Sport Events Exchange appointment requests are made and schedules are confirmed.
Timelines are subject to change without notice at the discretion of Sport Tourism Canada and Richmond Sport Hosting.
Frequently Asked Questions About the Go Congress! Program
I am an events rights holder who operates as a for-profit entity. Am I eligible to have my costs to attend Sport Events Congress covered under the Go Congress! program?
The Go Congress! Program is designed to support not-for-profit sport organizations who have limited travel budgets or means to promote their events open for bid. Thus, for-profit events rights holders are excluded from the program.
How many people from my organization are allowed to join me in the Go Congress! program?
Typically, one person per organization is invited to participate. If you have a special situation that could justify having more than one representative attend SEC, contact the program coordinator.
I received an invitation to the Go Congress! program but missed the deadline to accept the invite. Am I still eligible?
Space in the Go Congress! program is limited and available on a first come, first served basis. Because of the logistics involved in booking travel and the coordination related to Go Congress! participants taking part in Sport Events Exchange, we can not accommodate late additions to the program.
I am a provincial sport organization from outside of the province where SEC is being held. Am I eligible for the Go Congress! program? Am I eligible to participate in Sport Events Exchange?
Provincial sport organizations (PSOs) from outside of Alberta (in 2022) are NOT eligible for the Go Congress! program. View the eligibility requirements. PSOs may be eligible for Sport Events Exchange. View the Exchange eligibility information for details.
I have accepted an invite to the Go Congress! program, what happens next?
If you have been accepted into the Go Congress! program, you will be required to sign an agreement which will include instructions and guidelines for travel, access to our online registration form for Sport Events Congress, and information on the next steps to prepare for Sport Events Exchange.
I am unable to take part in all aspects of the SEC program. Am I still eligible for the Go Congress! program?
The Go Congress! program has been designed to allow sport organizations opportunities to fully engage with host partners and other members of the sport tourism industry over the entire 3 days. Missing some activities or departing early will compromise your ability to fully leverage these opportunities. Therefore, Go Congress! participants must be available to fully participate in the entire program on all three days, including evening social events.
Are there any costs that are not covered by the Go Congress! program that I can expect to have to cover on my own?
Most of the costs associated with attending SEC are covered. See inclusions here. You may have to cover the following: meals, drinks or snacks that are not provided to delegates as part of the schedule of events, upgraded accommodations, airport parking in your home city, transportation from your home or office to the airport or train station to catch your Go Congress! flight or train, accommodation for extra days in the host city, excess baggage fees, seat selections, upgrades to business class or seats offering extra legroom, change fees or penalties for missed flights, etc.