SEC22 – November 2-4, 2022
Edmonton Convention Centre
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Canada’s largest gathering of organizations connected to the $7.4 billion+ sport tourism industry in Canada
DATES & LOCATIONS FOR UPCOMING EVENTS:
- SEC22 – Edmonton Convention Centre – Edmonton, AB (November 2-4, 2022)
- SEC23 – Sheraton Vancouver Airport Hotel & Vancouver Airport Marriott – Richmond, BC (June 6-8, 2023)
- SEC24 – Delta Winnipeg & RBC Convention Centre – Winnipeg, MB (March 13-15, 2024)
- SEC25 – Details coming soon!
THE LATEST NEWS ABOUT UPCOMING EDITIONS OF SPORT EVENTS CONGRESS
- June 8, 2022: Sport Events Congress Heads to Richmond, B.C. in 2023
- Feb. 22, 2022: New Dates Set for Sport Events Congress 2022
Jan. 12, 2022: Sport Events Congress 2022 – Postponed
WHAT IS IT?
Sport Events Congress, the largest annual gathering of everyone connected to the over $7.4 billion sport tourism industry in Canada, is a 3-day interactive and educational event.
Over 400 people attend, including sport organizations / event rights holders, destination tourism professionals, event suppliers, event management firms, hoteliers, the education sector, and elected officials.
WHY SHOULD YOU ATTEND?
To present your destination to sport organizations seeking a host partner; to take in superb professional development presentations; to connect with the brightest and best minds in the sport tourism industry; and to engage with other like-minded champions of sport tourism. And most of all – to enjoy the SEC brand of fun and social networking!
TOP 3 REASONS TO ATTEND SEC
Business Development & Sales/Partnership Leads
Over 400 B2B appointments will be conducted!
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
Learn new skills and stay up-to-date!
SOCIAL / NETWORKING
Have fun with your sport tourism peers!
SEC: A Sustainable Event
Each year, STC strives to engage in a number of initiatives to help elevate its standard in creating a sustainable conference.
Here are a few examples of how Sport Events Congress has become a more sustainable event over the years:
- Host Hotel – We choose host hotels that offer greener options for guests and meeting attendees.
- Printing – STC is using environmentally friendly materials and printing fewer hard copies of documents, including event schedules, handouts and reports.
- Gifting – STC’s delegate gift has a shelf life beyond the Congress.
- Travel – STC routinely offers ecological transportation options at SEC.
- Event Volunteers – STC gives back to its community hosts by offering professional development and networking opportunities to local students through volunteer opportunities at SEC.
- Speaker Gifts – in lieu of offering gifts to speakers, STC gives back to the local community by making a donation to a local charity.
- Delegate Bag Inserts – SEC sponsors are placing less paper in the Congress bags and offering re-usable items.
Thanks to all of our delegates and partners who continue to help us to make Sport Events Congress a sustainable event!
SAVE THE DATE!
Mark your calendars for the only event in Canada where all of Canada’s sport tourism stakeholders gather to learn, network and develop new business partnerships.
Contact Us About SEC
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who normally attends Sport Events Congress?
Sport Events Congress attracts delegates from a variety of sectors:
- Events rights holders (organizations/companies who own the rights to sporting events and are seeking potential host cities to partner with them to host their next event. Events range from community level sporting competitions such as minor hockey tournaments to international elite sporting events to conferences and meetings and special events).
- Sport Tourism and Economic Development professionals (people who are working to promote their city/town as a destination for sport events and are interested in hosting events)
- Suppliers to the Sport Tourism Industry (companies who offer services to the sport tourism industry, such as hotels, airlines, magazines, event marketing firms, etc.)
- Education sector and researchers (students, professors and researchers who are in the tourism or sports administration fields).
What is the difference between Sport Events Exchange and Vendor Alley?
Sport Events Exchange is a business-to-business marketplace that provides an opportunity for events rights holders and destinations to meet one-on-one to explore sport events hosting opportunities. Participants are assigned brief appointments to conduct a short business meeting. The format is similar to ‘speed dating’ whereby both parties have a short period of time (8-10 minutes) to determine if there is potential to work together and then a bell rings prompting people to move on to their next appointment.
Vendor Alley is the trade show element at SEC. It offers companies the opportunity to set-up kiosks and promote their products and services to SEC delegates during the conference. Each year, approximately 30 exhibitors take part in the trade show and pay the appropriate fees for their kiosk space that is allocated to them in the trade show area. Conference delegates are encouraged to visit booths, pick-up promotional material and speak with company reps who are exhibiting. Exhibit space in Vendor Alley normally sells out well in advance of the Congress so any company interested in exhibiting should confirm their intentions to STC at least 5 months prior to the Congress.
WHERE AND WHEN DOES SPORT EVENTS CONGRESS TAKE PLACE?
Sport Events Congress has typically always been hosted in the spring. Past host cities include Toronto, Ottawa, Richmond, Edmonton, Halifax and Gatineau. There is a bidding process in place for hosting SEC.
Do you offer special rates for delegates who only want to attend portions of the Congress or one-day only?
Congress delegate fees are based on the attendee taking part in the full Congress. There is no one-day rate available.
Do I have to be fully vaccinated to attend Sport Events Congress 2022?
Yes. All delegates will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than October 18, 2022. Proof of vaccination will be required for entry to the event. Instructions on how to submit your proof of vaccination will be provided in advance of the event. View our SEC22 safety measures.
Will the hotel, the convention centre and the other venues we are visiting during SEC22 be enforcing COVID-19 protocols?
Do I have to wear a mask at SEC22?
Yes – there is a masking policy in place. Because this is an evolving situation the details of the policy will be communicated to all delegates in advance of the event. View our SEC22 safety measures for the latest information about masking at SEC.
Is there an airport shuttle for delegates attending SEC22?
Some VIPs and participants in the Go Congress! program have access to an airport shuttle provided by Sport Tourism Canada and Edmonton Events. All other delegates are encouraged to book a taxi or ride share service or contact the Edmonton Sky Shuttle to book a ride from YEG to downtown. Masks must be worn when travelling on buses/shuttles or in taxis or ride shares.
What is the SEC22 refund policy?
How do I participate in the speed dating activity (Sport Events exchange) at SEC?
This popular activity is limited to destinations who are members of Sport Tourism Canada and events rights holders with events open for bid who meet the eligibility criteria. Discover how Sport Events Exchange works here.
Do I have to be a member of Sport Tourism Canada to attend SEC?
Congress is open to anyone, however, STC members have discounted rates on registration fees and may have access to certain activities or events that are restricted to members only. View the program of events for details or view the membership section of our website for more info on how to become a member of STC.
I deferred my SEC20 registration fees to SEC22. How do I make sure I am fully registered for SEC22?
Deferred delegates can contact our registration manager for instructions on how to officially transfer a deferred 2020 registration to 2022. Please make sure you have a copy of your SEC 2020 registration confirmation email and a payment receipt to provide to STC in case of any discrepancies.
I am interested in sponsoring SEC or becoming an exhibitor in Vendor Alley. Who do I talk to?
What is the Go Congress! program?
STC and its host city partners for SEC sometimes offer a subsidy for registration fees, travel, and accommodations for eligible events rights holders. More information about this program can be found here.
How do I find out if my company/organization is a member of Sport Tourism Canada?
Is SEC a sustainable event?
Since 2015, Sport Tourism Canada has been implementing sustainable event practices at Sport Events Congress. More info about SEC: A Sustainable Event is posted on our website.
Do you have to pre-register to attend concurrent sessions at SEC?
No. Seating in the concurrent session breakouts is available on a first come, first served basis. If you arrive to a concurrent session that is full, you will be directed to an alternative session by a member of our events team.
View the schedule of events for more information on the agenda at SEC22.
I am a first-time attendee and have many questions about the event format, networking activities, etc. Is there any onboarding provided for new delegates?
Yes! Visit our SEC for Rookies info page on our website for our top tips on how to make the most of your first time attending Sport Events Congress.
If I am unable to attend SEC22 in-person in Edmonton is there an opportunity to attend the event virtually?
I am interested in speaking or presenting at SEC? How do I submit my request or topic idea?
STC is in the process of developing a list of engaging topics for SEC22 that will provide learning and inspiration to assist the sport hosting system to be more successful and resilient in the future. If you would like to recommend a topic or have interest in speaking/presenting at SEC22, please submit to: firstname.lastname@example.org. View our schedule of events here.