MEMBER SPOTLIGHT: KELOWNA
Can you imagine competing in the championship game surrounded by mountains and lakes in one of Canada’s top travel destinations? From regional tournaments to World Championships, Kelowna has a proven track record and extensive hosting resume. Named Canada’s number 1 mid-size city for sport hosting in 2019 and 2020, Kelowna is a vibrant city renowned for its welcoming hospitality, stunning landscape, and first-rate sporting venues.
A city by the lake, surrounded by nature.
In the heart of BC’s beautiful Okanagan Valley, Kelowna is a four-season playground with a climate envied by much of Canada. Attracting 1.9 million visitors annually, getting here is easy with direct flights serving major cities across the country.
Key venues for all seasons
- Prospera Place – 7,000 seat state-of-the-art, indoor sports and entertainment facility in the heart of downtown Kelowna
- Apple Bowl Stadium – multi-purpose outdoor stadium with 8 lane track and 1,054 seat grandstand
- Capital News Centre – Kelowna’s premier, multipurpose recreation facility with two full-size indoor turf fields and NHL ice surfaces
- Mission Recreation Park – 6 softball fields and 7 soccer fields
- H20 Adventure + Fitness Centre – World-class aquatics centre with 50m Olympic sized pool
- University of British Columbia Okanagan – home of U SPORTS Heat Athletics with 16,800 square feet of gym floor space and seating for 864
- Telemark Nordic Club– experienced host of Nordic events with 50km of trails and Biathlon stadium
- Big White Ski Resort – 777m Vertical Drop, TELUS Park with Boarder/Ski Cross Course
Accommodations for every budget
No matter the budget or amenity preferences, Kelowna’s accommodation partners offer a home away from home that will have you wanting to stay longer. With over 4,500 hotel rooms across 33 properties, Kelowna offers all that you need and more to make your stay relaxing and enjoyable. During the summer months, the University of British Columbia Okanagan campus also offers over 400 beds in a variety of affordable room types for sports groups and events.
Kelowna’s community of volunteers has your event covered. In 2019, Kelowna hosted the 55+ BC Games which engaged over 1,500 volunteers. Other events like 2019 Skate Canada International, 2020 World Mixed Doubles & Seniors Curling, and the 2020 Memorial Cup received so many responses, volunteer positions were oversubscribed.
Come for the competition, stay for the experience.
Urban and rural; nature and culture; playtime and downtime: Kelowna isn’t just one destination. It’s a whole bunch of them, located in one uniquely beautiful place. There’s something for everyone here including endless options for outdoor activities. From tee times, mountain biking, hiking, and Okanagan Champagne Powder days at Big White Ski Resort, Kelowna has it all. Visit one of the 40 wineries within a 20-minute drive, or taste local flavours at a craft brewery, cidery, and distillery.
While Kelowna has the access, facilities, amenities and hosting resume of a major metropolis, we’re still a small city at heart. When you bring your team or event, everyone knows, and you’re never overlooked or lost in the shuffle. We love our sports, we turn out for competition, and we make athletes shine like the stars they are. Welcome to Kelowna!